Monday, February 7, 2011

And...Cue the Holy Spirit

I have an overactive imagination and at times I find myself contemplating my life the way a writer would think up a plot. The way a director might say, “Let’s see if it works saying that line this way and then you walk to stage left.” This great “ACT” has so many characters, scene changes, intermissions… let’s put some good music to it as well (for happy times I would choose “Jupiter” from THE PLANETS which I heard for the first time performed by the Juneau Symphony…WONDERFUL)!
So, as I am trying so hard to have a nice phone conversation with my sister Emily and I might be, I don’t know…perhaps…unloading a dishwasher (this is a stretch…I rarely multitask). Everything is good, I am enjoying myself, I like having a clean kitchen, I like catching up with my sister. Then, (music....dun dun dah…doomsday sounding), irritable cranky just woke up from a deep nap Lioness walks in, rubbing eyes.  She is doing a potty dance and whining and incoherent..ugh she’s at her WORST!  I try to keep talking with Emily, she was telling a great story about her beau.  I only have the upper rack of the dishwasher left, the utensil basket and lower rack are done. Errr..but in comes Lioness and at the same time…cue the Holy Spirit.
Cue:
verb (used with object, also can be used as a noun)
to provide with a cue or indication; give a cue to; prompt: Will you cue me on my lines?

Holy Spirit, “Will You cue me on my lines?”
The Holy Spirit says, “In this particular scene you politely and quickly say good bye to your sister. She will learn what mothering is. Close the dishwasher, focus on the eternal. Listen to your child and be attentive.”
Attentive – We have been working on that character trait for over a month in this home.
My friend Angela told me around the campfire once as we were eating our oatmeal that I was so proud to have cooked in the cast iron pot, “You have to follow the Holy Spirit. If we have something planned in our family as an outing and even one person is very upset or tired and things aren’t really working out well..we have to pause and really focus on where the Spirit is guiding us. This guide might be in that child who needs us at that moment and all plans go away and then the plan is clear…the child.  The same goes for if everything just seems to be falling into place, miraculously, that is also the Holy Spirit saying…yes! This is a great idea!”
Perhaps as I learn to listen for the divine cues I receive for some of the little scenes, I can be ready for the bigger cues. You know when the PLOT thickens, when there is a TWIST to the story. Like…hmmm…a fourth?  Ah….wait…wait for the cues.

No comments:

Post a Comment