Sunday, January 10, 2016

Christmas Crumbs


Happy New Year from Virginia! It feels like spring outside here. We had a wonderful Christmas. There was a fullness about this Christmas with family members of both mine and Justin's that kept me on my toes. Kept me thinking about what I want my home to be and how I want to serve. 




I read an absolutely beautiful article that was linked to Like Mother Like Daughter that sums up so much of what I am trying to build, what the Norwegians call koselig.

I find great peace knowing a handful of mothers who have kindred spirits and can speak this koselig language with me. 

I received specific graces a few days before Christmas when my husband had surgery on his eye. I will guard our privacy here but I will say when his brother phoned me to say he was sitting up in bed eating Cheeze Its I started to cry. I felt showered by Christmas crumbs the whole season.



I have been reading about crumbs from the book A Tree Full of Angels given to me awhile ago. I am reading this right when I need to. I find the Holy Spirit seems to work that way in my life.

Macrina Wiederkehr, a Benedictine sister, writes:

"We stand in the midst of nourishment and we starve. We dwell in the land of plenty, yet we persist in going hungry."




"The reason we live life so dimly and with such divided hearts is that we have never really learned how to be present with quality to God, to self, to others, to experiences and events, to all created things."




"We have never learned to gather up the crumbs of whatever appears in our path at every moment. We meet all of these lovely gifts only half there. Presence is what we are all starving for. Real presence!"



"We are too busy to be present, too blind to see the nourishment and salvation in the crumbs of life, the experiences of each moment. Yet the secret of daily life is this:

There are no leftovers!"




"There is nothing - no thing, no person, no experience, no thought, no joy or pain - that cannot be harvested and used for nourishment on our journey to God."


"Your presence is an energy that you can choose to give or not give. Every experience, every thought, every word, every person in your life is a part of a larger picture of your growth. That's why I call them crumbs."



"They are not the whole loaf, but they can be nourishing if you give them your real presence."



"Let everything energize you."


"Let everything bless you."



I was hoping this year I could work on gathering crumbs here in Virginia. I guess you could say I felt like I had the loaf in Alaska. Alaska was my atrium, where I met Jesus as Good Shepherd, where I was finally able to become present to my husband and children.



The first seven months of being away from my atrium have been an incredible BIG WORK for me. Yet, I have found tremendous nourishment in what I now know to call crumbs.

I can subsist off crumbs and gather them up and feel a fullness here.


Yet, as Macrina says, I can only gather these crumbs if I am present with quality.

I am really looking forward to finding the crumbs everyday and getting my fill. My prayer is that you can as well.  I pray also that this blog will always be a source of good for you, a little crumb in the vast world wide web.

God Bless You!


No comments:

Post a Comment