Wednesday, October 19, 2016

True Royalty

I probably talk about it way too much to my mommy friends, but the idea of sovereignty really does make living the crazy big family life more concrete for me. I really grasped it reading Chesterton's Man Alive.



 If you were to look up sovereignty in the dictionary you would find mention of words like “supreme ruler” or “independent authority.”  If God is sovereign of heaven and earth, he most certainly should be sovereign in your home. When it comes to your marriage and the beautiful fruits that are born of that marriage, he truly works his sovereignty through you.

What you do, what you say, in your home is for your home. Over the last few years, I have seen the sovereignty in our marriage play out in the virtues we are all practicing together. When we correct our young ones, it is sometimes with a stern, “Oh we don’t do that in THIS family” or “In our home we say please.”



Homeschooling was a major leap in really taking that sovereignty to heart. Wow, can I really be the authority on what goes into my children’s minds and souls? It is not something I take lightly, luckily, I have much confidence in the literary giants I am leaning on in the classics.

Saying yes to more children has, in some ways, showed our sovereignty in our home to more people. People do not always see us singing around our Advent wreath or belting out Les Miserables, they certainly don’t see my three eldest daughters snuggled up in ONE bed Little Women style as they wait for kisses goodnight. In our home we play musical beds, who says everyone needs to be assigned one? In our home, we sing loud and who says you need to finish a song before switching over to another?

People can count though, so they do see our children.



So...In our home we value life. In our home we believe the child is supreme gift. In our home we think that children are a blessing. In our home we don’t say “the more the merrier” for certain occasions, we believe “the more the merrier” is for all the time, in all occasions!


It is a true blessing to see that sovereignty over your home and your life choices and then make it yours. Well-meaning family, who claim they are just being honest, will try to give you council on things that you are sovereign over. Medical professionals with the best of intentions will advise you on birth control options. Forgive them for not seeing your crown. Forgive them that they can’t see the jewels that are your children adorning your crown. Brilliantly.



Wear that crown in your minivan and to the park and to Mass. Where it well in your home. You are a young sovereign now, but with your crown will come wisdom if you can but have confidence in it. 

That the crown is rightfully yours.


You are sovereign.


1 comment:

  1. I thot I posted here. Oops something didn't take right or it went under a different blog. What had I said?? --I shared this jewel w Rebekah in case she missed it or to read it again! You both wear your sparkly bejeweled crowns regally. I loved this

    ReplyDelete